Losing a loved one is one of the hardest things we often experience in life. Losing a child is the most difficult, but giving life through organ donation give you the parent a chance to turn your crisis into hope and survival for others. When you choose organ donation you can save the lives of eight people. Choose Life...
CORE - Center for Organ Recovery & Education
Organ Donation Grief Counseling Program
After the sudden death of a loved one, families may look toward grief counseling to help them heal.
Recognizing the importance of grief counseling, the Pennsylvania Department of Health has partnered with CORE and Gift of Life Donor Program for a unique pilot program. Funded by the Governor Robert P. Casey Memorial Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Trust Fund, families of deceased organ donors from across Pennsylvania have access to grief counseling at no cost to them.
CORE follows up each donation by sending letters to the donor family, hospital staff, physicians and nurses regarding the organs and tissues that have been recovered. About 14 days after donation, the donor's family will receive a letter from CORE describing how the donor helped transplant recipients. One organ, tissue and cornea donor can save or enhance the lives of up to 75 recipients.
We provide aftercare for our donor families, including grief counseling and CORE's A Special Place ceremony. Our donors and their families are important to us. Without them, there would not be recipients. Contact CORE from more information at https://www.core.org/
Often times after experiencing the loss of a loved one if leaves us devastated and confused. Through the grief process often times family members experience hopelessness, and sometimes those feelings make us feel there is no reason to go on.
There are thousands of reasons to go on and always remember that is not what your loved one wanted for you. They want you to carry on their memories and legacy. There are organizations available free of charge to help you overcome your feelings of hopelessness such as suicide prevention hotlines and websites. We have included some of these resources both local and statewide.
Huntingdon County Suicide Prevention
The Huntingdon County Task Force can be found at https://www.preventsuicidepa.org/task-force-county-init/huntingdon/
Blair County Suicide Prevention
The Blair County Task Force can be found at https://www.preventsuicidepa.org/task-force-county-init/blair/
Centre County Suicide Prevention
The Centre County Task force can be found at https://www.preventsuicidepa.org/task-force-county-init/centre/
Sometimes after a loss you might be in need of emotional support. If you feel yourself slipping into depression or turning to drugs and alcohol for relief you can get help. Drugs and alcohol can temporarily help to make you numb to your situation, but they are not the answer and the relief these things offer are only a temporary mask that soon fades away and can leave you even more depressed. UPMC Altoona offers behavioral health services free of charge, and they can help get you pointed in the right direction.
Behavioral Health Access Center
The Access Center is a telephone-managed center that offers confidential and easy access to the mental health services and drug and/or alcohol services that are offered by county contracted treatment providers. You can reach them by telephone 24 hours a day at (814) 889-2289 or you can reach their website at http://www.altoonaregional.org/medicalservices_behave.htm
- Geriatric assessment
- Children's outpatient mental health
- Adult outpatient mental health
- Adolescent and Adult inpatient mental health
- Case management for mental health and drug and alcohol services
- Inpatient/residential drug and alcohol services
- Behavioral health rehabilitation services
- Family-based service
- Student Assistance Program
- Drug and alcohol outpatient services
- Dual diagnosis Services
- Partial hospitalization for adults and children
- Crisis intervention
- Information and referral services to other community resources
- Prevention Services for alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
Domestic Violence Help
Huntingdon House - An Open Door For Survivors
Huntingdon House's mission is to provide support to victims and survivors of domestic violence, while working toward the elimination of domestic violence through education and advocacy within the community.
- 24/7 Hotline - Huntingdon House Emergency Hotline is operated 24/7 by trained domestic violence counselors in order to provide information and services at all times.(814) 643-1190
- Shelter/Housing - Huntingdon House offers a Rapid Rehousing Program to our clients, designed to be a homelessness prevention program for survivors of domestic violence. If deemed eligible, this supportive living arrangement offers rental subsidy and case management to prepare clients for long-term success.
- Counseling - Huntingdon House offers free and confidential counseling appointments for survivors of domestic violence. You can schedule a counseling appointment with one of our trained domestic violence counselors either via phone or by stopping in our office. No appointment necessary. Just walk in!
- Foster-A-Pet - Huntingdon House offers a Foster-A-Pet Program to provide a safe, temporary home for the pets of domestic violence survivors. Often, victims of domestic abuse are hesitant to leave a dangerous situation out of concern for their pets' safely. This program exists to make sure that survivors have a safe place for these animals to go while their owners utilize Huntingdon House's housing services.
- Legal Advocacy - Huntingdon House offers legal advocacy and court accompaniment services. Our legal advocate can assist you with filing Protection From Abuse orders, navigating the court process, and accompanying you throughout your legal process. Please contact us to setup an in office appointment with one of our counselor advocates who will work alongside you to determine your plan of action. Get more information about Huntingdon House at https://www.huntingdonhouse.org/
If you do not see services that will help you please contact us at the foundation and we will work to connect you with the right organization to best serve your needs.
Please consider donating to The Deseray Smith Foundation to help those in crisis. All of your donations are tax free and go to help others in need.
One area will help with is providing the funds for counseling services for those who lack counseling coverage with their medical insurance provider. Yes you can have medical insurance, and think you've got a great plan, and then find out your plan does not cover simple things like psychiatric services including simple counseling services. That is where The Deseray Smith Foundation steps in and helps cover the expense so counseling can be available.